Starting a beef jerky business can be as simple as making jerky in your kitchen and selling it in a local farmers market. But it additionally might be hard to find success and earn an excellent living at it.
Here are some ideas to assist you to see more clearly what you should expect…
1. Government Inspection – By law, if you make beef jerky just for selling it, your production facility should be state or federally inspected. If you plan to offer your jerky inside the same state because it was produced, you only need state inspection. If you plan to promote to consumers in other states, you require federal inspection.
Getting inspected will not be a great deal the larger challenge, because it is maintaining inspection. A state or federal inspector is going to go to your facility everyday.
However, many small “mom and pop” run beef jerky businesses don’t bother getting inspection, and often never come across any trouble. They can make all of their jerky in your house, in their kitchen, and sell it wherever they are able to. Both federal and state government inspectors don’t bother trying to find violators, the issue only appears to show up when consumers get sick and file complaints.
2. Private Labeling – To have around the federal and state inspection requirements, most smaller businesses hire an inspected and approved meat processing facility to make jerky for them. The facility can make jerky according to your recipe or use their very own house recipe. They may even source beef specifically in your requirements, or use their particular. The facility will likely then package the jerky together with your label on it.
The issue that a majority of entrepreneurs find after they hire a facility would be that the jerky never arrives using the same flavor and consistency because it did once they managed to make it themselves in their own kitchen. The answer is to use several facilities and locate the one that will produce something nearest what you’re looking for.
Conduct a Google search about the words, “USDA Establishment Number” to locate a listing of federally inspected meat processing facilities.
3. Preservatives or No? – Most consumers tend to stay away from foods containing preservatives, artificial flavors, and fillers. Sodium nitrite is a type of preservative in beef jerky, and there were studies suggesting that this causes cancer, though there were other studies disputing it.
The issue for manufacturers and retailers is that buying beef jerky in bulk must be able to take a seat on store shelves for many months to retain freshness. To accomplish this, is needs to contain preservatives. Most distributors and retailers won’t even consider stocking a jerky that can’t guarantee freshness for over a few weeks.
So, the secret to success to get a small, upstart beef jerky company, if they wish to avoid preservatives, is to look for markets where long shelf life is not really a concern. Selling jerky at farmers markets, street fairs, and industry events is common. Selling jerky online from a website is quite popular. Some manufacturers have arrangements with smaller stores to come in once weekly to buy back old stock and replace with fresh.
4. Distributors – The jerky brands you can see in convenience stores and grocery stores were placed there by distribution companies. Names like Core Mark, Sysco, and US Foods represent the biggest distributors in the United States and are responsible for filling the store shelves of all the national stores. You can’t 45dexqpky speak with a national retail chain and obtain these people to stock your jerky, you will need to experience a distributor. And how situations are nowadays, distributors are unwilling to speak with small, upstart brands.
You are able to instead talk to smaller, niche distributors, and/or small non-chain grocers. Look for individuals who concentrate on natural foods. Small independent nutrition stores in your town are prepared to buy jerky from local producers for their need to stock “locally grown and sourced” foods, provided it doesn’t contain preservatives.
To get the larger distributors to take notice of your brand, you have to build up the name recognition of the brand throughout the country. That means plenty of social websites, a lot of sponsorships, getting mentioned on television and radio, etc.
5. Don’t Partner – Starting a beef jerky business from your ground-up is a lot of effort. It requires several years of dedication just to produce a loyal subscriber base, and also then you’ll find that your life all but involves your organization. Your enterprise is planning to become your daily life.
When you have an associate, besides a spouse, often times you’ll find your spouse becomes your enemy. Even though it’s your brother, your best friend, or maybe your mother. You’ll always find that your partner is not really doing their job, or possibly is informing you the way to do your job. It’ll appear to be your partner is not spending so much time enough, but continues to be getting half of the earnings. You will probably find that your particular partner is working harder than you, and you could feel guilty about not performing your part.
If you want a business partner, speak with your spouse, and have him or her jump on board with starting a beef jerky business. When you can’t locate a partner, and also you believe you need one, then maybe it’s not the best time for you to start. Otherwise, go on a deep breath, clear your thoughts, and be ready to do all of it yourself.